January 19, 2009

History

History repeats itself. Always.

On the day of 9/11, it was all over the news. Shows were interrupted, to give up to date reports on what was happening. Even though I was five or six at the time, I was glued to the television. My parents were crying in a corner. They told me that I got to stay home today, and being five or six. Later would I find out that it would be to protect me.

Even though I was only five, I felt something in my heart. Loss, sadness, hope, for the people who were involved, for the situation might get better. And I still remember that feeling, and I still remember what happened. Smart at five, I knew people were dying and no one could stop it. People jumping out of buildings, so they would not burn to death. The bodies lining streets in New York, bodies of the dead.

That is history. Sad history, but history none the less. I still remember 9/11, as do many of the adults who, when they turned on their television to watch their favorite show, found this on instead.

Tomorrow, January 20th, there will be history in the making. The United States will have their first African-American President, and he made history. And he will also make history tomorrow.

America, tomorrow, we will make history.

1 comment:

McGlone Bunch said...

I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember the fierce need to protect you. I still have that today, but on that day it was even more fierce. Don't forget your History. Hold it tight and don't let go, you will have children to tell one day..or maybe your sister will :) I know you are still undecided.
I love you.