August 11, 2009

Pretty Lady Walking Down the Street


This is my favorite picture of myself, taken by my mom, whom this post is lovingly dedicated to.

Kathrine from the bakery called me pretty on Friday.

Once said, I tucked a layer of my hair behind my ear, and shyly said thank you, as I moved along to go find The Mother. She was in the bread isle-- and I briskly walked over to her. I told her the news, Kathrine from the bakery had called me pretty.

The Mother replied, "Well of course she did, you are beautiful."

I rolled my eyes and continued on, to the freezer section of the grocery store.

See, I think that every parent will tell you you're beautiful, or that yes, that boy would go out with you, or whatever you want to hear, whenever you want to. But The Mother is different.

When Kathrine said those words, it amazed me. I was in shock, I couldn't believe it. Yes, I have been to the same grocery store, ever since I was born, but I didn't know that she recognized me.

During the past couple of years, I had the worse self-confidence issues. During the summer, you would see me in tennis shoes and jeans, sometimes even with long sleeved shirts. Last summer, it was especially hard, I was not sure of myself. I second guessed myself, as well as everything that I did.

And then this year, I evolved. I changed, into a woman that I didn't recognize for several months. Suddenly, I was sure of myself, I was confident, I wasn't afraid for people to see the real me. And this is what surprised me the most.

I am not model-skinny, but I finally love my body. And, I am proud to have an hourglass shape, for the first time ever. I believe that God made my body the way He wanted it to be. He does amazing things, and there is not a doubt in my mind that He has a plan for me too.




This is one of the main reasons that I have started my Here's to Me project. I am so surprised at how it turned out. Numerous people have submitted lists, blogged about my little project, and so much more. It surprised me so much. Last night, I read a post about my little project. She said how this project has helped her realize the good in herself.

And that's what my goal was. I started this project in the hopes that people would realize the good in themselves, just like I have.

Thank you all so much for making this project a success. I owe it all to you.


18 comments:

Anonymous said...

TeeTee, I love this post oh so much!

You say you had self-confidence issues, truly I never noticed. You've always seemed sure of your self. I meant that in a good way, not a contradicting way. As "I never would have noticed" type things.

Laila Of Course! said...

Oh, this was such a lovely look inside why you do Here's to Me. I know what you mean about self img and those awful issues with oneself. I went on vacation this summer sort of shaken up by the college year and have emerged a bit more confident. I still have problems with my confidence, but I'm working on it. :)

De Lly Dilettante said...

It's great that you love your body. I wish I felt the same about myself :( lol

Cat said...

This part was my favorite:
"I am not model-skinny, but I finally love my body. And, I am proud to have an hourglass shape, for the first time ever. I believe that God made my body the way He wanted it to be."
High five, I feel the exact same way! :D
By the way, thank you for the Here's To Me project. It helped me out a lot, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. :)

N said...

I'm really glad you started Here's To Me. It's really cool, and a great way to recognize some cool stuff about yourself. I know making my list gave me a little confidence boost. :)

Cat said...

By the way, I'm finally a follower of your blog!

Read today's post on my blog, it means a lot to me :)

TRICIA @boutellefamilyzoo said...

This was a beautifully written and very insightful post, TeeTee.
I too am touched by how much your Here's To You series has come together. It gives me great hope for "making it through" the teen years with my girls ;) As always, your writing was thoroughly wonderful on this post.

XO*Tricia

P.S. I love that photo too. ;)

Lee said...

You always have the best posts. So insightful and inspiring.
And I love your picture.
And the fact that the dog is looking the same way as you.

Jessica♥ said...

of course you must be pretty! Even the back of you is pretty. =]
Never doubt yourself.
Always know that you are beautiful no matter what people say.

Sky said...

Oh honey, I'm so glad you're happy about your hour-gñass figure, I would give anything to have hips, and as weard as it sounds, that's how I pictured my body would be since I was like 10, but I guess I just don't have that bone structure, so I'm happy that you're happy because you're really lucky

Cat said...

Third comment, haha :)
1) Thank you so much for following my blog! It means so much!
2) Your red shoes are lovely. I just thought you should know. I'm super jealous of your shoes. :)

Yaya said...

Yay for newfound confidence and self love!!!

marianna!? said...

I'm so happy you have self-confidence now!
and yes, God does do wonders. (:

Emma Hughes said...

Thank You for commenting over at my blog. I'm following you.

Wht a lovely post.

Woohoo you have self confidence :)

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

That was a beautiful post.

Bridgette said...

Thanks for the comment :) I am following you. Your blog is awesome!

Eva Gallant said...

great blog..great thoughts.

just stopping by from SITS' hope you'll pay me a visit!

Zen said...

It's good that you are happy with yourself. Next time mum says 'of course you're beautiful' don't roll your eyes but accept the fact gratefully : )